Date: November 17, 2016
Brattleboro, VT – The winter chill is already upon us and United Way of Windham County is proud to support families with warm winter gear through its Kids in Coats Fund, which was
created after the Reformer Christmas Stocking ceased operations in the fall of 2015. This fall, UWWC received over 400 applications from families (for over 670 children) through nearly 60 referral sources, such as schools, health and human service organizations, and state offices. Unfortunately, due to limited funds, UWWC was only able to support half of the applications with vouchers for winter outerwear. You can help!
To donate to the Kids in Coats Fund:
- Online at https://app.mobilecause.com/f/xgp/n
- Text ‘snowy’ to 41444
- Mail a check to United Way of Windham County, PO Box 617, Brattleboro, VT 05302 with KIC in the memo line.
- Drop a donation off during business hours at the United Way office at 1 Holstein Place, Brattleboro, Vermont.
Donor messages will be printed in the Brattleboro Reformer and posted online at the websites of UWWC and The Commons.
“We see firsthand the need for winter gear among our students,” says school counselor Carole Rayl of Vernon Elementary School, a member of the Kids in Coats committee, “and the school staff and families appreciate every effort made by the community to support warm winter gear for children.”
There are other ways to support families in need of winter gear. We are proud to have nine local stores accepting the KIC vouchers and seven of them are resale/thrift stores – we encourage the community to donate your gently worn children’s winter outwear – boots, coats, snowpants/snowsuits, hats, gloves/mittens, and scarves – to these stores so that they have plenty of inventory for families:
- Experienced Goods Thrift Shop (77 Flat Street, Brattleboro)
- Love It Twice (464 Putney Road, Brattleboro)
- Whippersnappers (896 Putney Road, Brattleboro)
- SEVCA Good Buy Thrift Store (45 Rockingham Street/Canal House, Bellows Falls)
- Second Chance Shoppe (126 Grafton Road, Townshend)
- West Townshend Country Store Thrift Store (6573 Rt. 30, West Townshend)
- Twice Blessed (45 Rt. 100N, West Dover)
Thank you, also, to Northeast Mountain Footwear and Sam’s Outdoor Outfitters in Brattleboro for partnering with UWWC to accept the KIC vouchers – please thank these stores the next time you shop. We also encourage the community to donate items to the Warm Hands Warm Hearts donation box on the porch of the Brattleboro Masonic Lodge on Main Street.
For more information on the Kids in Coats Fund, contact Sue Graff, Director of Community Investments, at 802.257.4011 x113 or email@example.com. The United Way of Windham County is creating HOPE by investing in health, opportunity, prosperity, and education initiatives. The Kids in Coats Fund is yet another way you can Lend HOPE a Hand. Visit www.unitedwaywindham.org or call 802.257.4011 to learn more.
Contact: Sue Graff
Director of Community Investments