Brattleboro, VT – The winter chill is already upon us and United Way of Windham County (UWWC) is proud to support local families with warm winter outerwear through its Kids in Coats Fund. Community members near and far make Kids in Coats Fund possible. In its third year, UWWC received 265 applications for over 600 eligible children in Windham County for the Kids in Coats program.
Families apply September through mid-October via their human service provider or the child’s school. UWWC distributed $35,050 worth of vouchers this year, which served 473 children age 0 – 6th grade with Kids in Coats vouchers ranging from $50 - $100 that are valid at participating local thrift and retail stores. The need for assistance from Kids in Coats Fund in Windham County continues to outweigh the resources available at UWWC to serve every eligible family that applies.
The Kids in Coats program has a significant impact for local families. “Giving to the Kids in Coats Fund is an easy way to help with a very practical need. It's a great example of what collective help can accomplish, and together we can all make sure the children in our community are warm this winter,” says Jennifer Jacobs, Kids in Coats donor.
You can help support United Way of Windham County Kids in Coats Fund:
- Make a secure donation online: unitedwaywindham.org/kidsincoats
- Mail a check to UWWC, PO Box 617, Brattleboro, VT 05302 with “Kids in Coats” in the memo line.
- Text “Snowy” to 3-1-3-1-3-1 to donate
- Drop a monetary donation off during business hours at the UWWC office, 1 Holstein Place, Brattleboro, VT.
- Donor messages will be printed weekly in the Brattleboro Reformer.
Throughout the next couple of months these community events will benefit the UWWC Kids in Coats Fund:
- Putney Road Redemption Center: Show your support through the whole year by asking to donate your bottle refund to United Way of Windham County Kids in Coats Fund.
- Giving Tuesday, November 27th: On this day of giving, help UWWC reach their goal of 100 donors at $75 each=100 Kids in Coats Vouchers!
- Dining for a Cause: November 27th from 5:00 pm – 10:00pm. Join UWWC at the 99 Restaurant in Brattleboro. Visit unitedwaywindham.org or United Way of Windham County’s Facebook page to download and print an event voucher to present to your server that night. 15% of all guest checks will be donated to the Kids in Coats Fund when you present the event voucher to your server.
- Brattleboro Sunrise Rotary Club Trivia Night: February 11, 2019, 6:30pm at the American Legion, Brattleboro – Bring a team of 4-6 players, or show up to join a team. All ages are welcome, but there is a cash bar. Admission is $20 and that includes dinner, fun, and a donation to Kids in Coats!
UWWC is proud to have eleven local stores accepting the Kids in Coats vouchers and eight of them are resale/thrift stores – we encourage the community to donate your gently worn children’s winter outwear – boots, winter socks, coats, snowpants/snowsuits, hats, gloves/mittens, and scarves – to these stores so that they have plenty of inventory for families:
- Experienced Goods Thrift Shop (77 Flat Street, Brattleboro)
- Love It Twice (464 Putney Road, Brattleboro)
- Whippersnappers (896 Putney Road, Brattleboro)
- SEVCA Good Buy Thrift Store (45 Rockingham Street/Canal House, Bellows Falls)
- Second Chance Shoppe (126 Grafton Road, Townshend)
- West Townshend Country Store Thrift Store (6573 Rt. 30, West Townshend)
- Twice Blessed (45 Rt. 100N, West Dover)
- Busy Bee’s (17 Rockingham St, Bellows Falls)
Thank you, also, to Northeast Mountain Footwear, Label Shopper and Sam’s Outdoor Outfitters in Brattleboro for partnering with UWWC to accept Kids in Coats vouchers. Please thank these local businesses the next time you shop and look for Kids in Coats donation boxes at the register!