Vermont Flood Response Information

The devastation caused by recent flooding has displaced thousands of Vermonters and closed hundreds of businesses. The long-term impact of these losses is only just being realized.

United Ways across Vermont are working together to understand, respond to, and communicate local needs in our communities. This page will be regularly updated with the latest information, resources, and recommendations we collectively gather.

VT flood relief


Resources and Information

Immediate Needs and Reporting Property Damage

If you need non-emergency help and connection to resources, call 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898211. Please note Vermont 211 has been inundated with calls and emails and is making every effort to respond to individual requests as quickly as possible.

To report property damage: (1) make a claim with your insurance (even if you don’t think it will be covered), (2) contact your town/city clerk to report damage, and (3) report damage to 211, ideally using the online form. These are all critical steps in getting state and federal assistance with cleanup.



Mental Health Supports

Disaster Distress Hotline- Call/text 800-985-5990 or go to  

Call 9-8-8 for 24/7 confidential support with counselors and mental health professionals in Vermont

Thank you to United Way of Northwest Vermont’s Mental Health Initiative for compiling a list of Vermont-based mental health resources and information.

United Way of Northwestern VT


Help for Nonprofits

Common Good Vermont has a page of resources Vermont Nonprofit Flood Response & Recovery Information page including resource guides, training opportunities, funding & disaster relief for nonprofits, news & policy updates, and more!



Flood Resources from the State of Vermont

Visit for additional resources, guidance on initial actions to take if you are affected by flooding, and ways to help. This includes information about free drinking water test kits, road closures, shelter, crisis counseling and support, and more.

FEMA has recently provided a fact sheet for replacing documents such as birth and marriage certificates, Social Security cards, driver’s licenses or medical records, and more that may have been lost due to flooding. 

Give help


During times like these, providing financial assistance rather than physical items is often the most effective way to offer help. 

While some counties are currently experiencing more loss than others, every United Way in the state is raising funds in a coordinated effort to ensure Vermonters get the help they need to respond, recover, and rebuild.



Many municipalities — and the state — are coordinating volunteer efforts and have asked people to sign up to receive direction about where their labor or equipment will be best put to use by heading to VERMONT.GOV/VOLUNTEER.

Please await instructions about how to help. People who wish to help are asked to register and not self-deploy. Do not show up in communities without first finding out what kind of help is most needed.